Monday 13 October 2008

I've belatedly realized that sex and friendship are totally incompatible. The first always manages to spoil the latter- and
vice versa. Some people might be able to combine them, but on my planet it never seems to work. How can you be friendly towards someone you're truly attracted to? And if you're not, doesn't sex with them taste like cold soup or warm ice cream or just something purely and utterly wrong?

Of course, I still support the practice- on a theoretical level. In an ideal world, we would only have sex with our friends. The people
we trust and enjoy the company of; the people who have stood
beside us in our worst moments and would never let us down; the people we can laugh with, speak our minds to, get reassurance from, feel safe around.

Instead, we prefer to experiment with strangers, which- after the first few moments of excitement- usually leaves us tired, confused, disappointed, hurt or enraged. Now, you could say that even passionate love eventually evolves into a kind of companionship resembling friendship. No wonder so many married couples complain about their sex lives.

OK, I guess I got carried away. Enough with stereotypes. All I wanted to say is...I think I'm growing old. I'm tired of shallow games and painful compromises. I want to be who I am, nothing more, nothing less. And I'm done putting myself in situations that are meant to bring me down, just to prove I'm strong enough to handle them.

No comments: